On February 24 of this year, eight months after the start of the war in Ukraine, Mercedes-Benz became the most recent Western business to abandon the Russian market. Since the beginning of March, this German company has stopped producing and exporting its goods to the Russian Federation.
The company has now decided to totally withdraw from the Russian market and will sell its shares to Russian investors, thus this is a new event. The Japanese automaker Nissan departed Russia earlier this month, and it must be noted that other automakers like Toyota and Renault also took a similar course of action.
Nissan suffered significant losses of $700 million after selling the business to a state-owned entity for a nominal sum. But Harald Wilhelm, from the finance office at Mercedes-Benz, said that leaving Russia is not expected to have a big impact on the company’s profits. The Association of European Businesses has said that 9,558 Mercedes cars were sold in Russia from January to September, which is a decrease of 72.8 percent compared to last year.
After numerous foreign corporations, including Starbucks, McDonald’s, and Coca-Cola, “escaped” from Russia earlier this year, the decision to leave was made. Additionally, shortly after the war began, other automakers such as Jaguar Land Rover, General Motors, Aston Martin, and Rolls-Royce suspended all of their operations in Russia.
Vladimir Putin, the president of Russia, views the conflict as a “special military operation” to demilitarize Ukraine. In response to Russia, the West imposed severe economic sanctions on that country. Millions of people were uprooted from their homes as a result of the war, mostly in Poland, and thousands of people perished.
